Saturday, January 29, 2011

LibreOffice project's first stable release

I just saw the news that LibreOffice 3.3, the first stable version of LibreOffice has been launched 4 days ago. I know I am late. :D But there might be many more who have missed it, especially some of my friends. So I thought I would post this on my blog to notify them.
For more details, read The Document Foundation's press release. Don't expect me to tell you everything while I am busy downloading it myself.
I love this screenshot! :)

For those of you who don't even know what LibreOffice is, I'll take the time to copy and paste the introduction from its web-site.
"LibreOffice is the free power-packed Open Source personal productivity suite for Windows, Macintosh and Linux, that gives you six feature-rich applications for all your document production and data processing needs: Writer, Calc, Impress, Draw, Math and Base. Support and documentation is free from our large, dedicated community of users, contributors and developers. You, too, can also get involved!"
And...
"LibreOffice is community-driven and developed software which is a project of the not-for-profit organization, The Document Foundation.
The LibreOffice software is developed by users, just like you, who believe in the principles of Open Source software and in sharing their work with the world in a non-restrictive way. At the core of these principles is the promise of better-quality, highly-reliable and secure software that gives you greater flexibility at zero cost. Beyond this, the driving factor behind the community is personal choice and transparency, which translates practically into wider compatability, more utility and no end-user lock-in to using just one product."
In simpler words, it is a free and open source Office productivity suite.
Now stop wasting your time reading my blog and go to LibreOffice's home page to download a copy for yourself. It is available for GNU/Linux as well as the dreaded, evil operating systems known as Microsoft Windows and Mac OS X.

No comments:

Post a Comment